Thursday, October 26, 2006

Charity Case

I work for the Government of Canada. And when one works for this government, one is made familiar with something called the Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign. It is just a campaign each year in the fall where employees are encouraged to donate to a charity of their choice by payroll deduction throughout the year. We had a short presentation on this the other day, and it got me thinking - I should definitely be giving more. I didn't even come through on that promise to give my Ralphbucks to charity. So now I will be using my salary (which comes your tax dollars, of course) and redistributing to the charity that I see fit.

But...which charity to give to? There are thousands of options. There are a few basic choices on the pledge sheet - I could give to The United Way, who could redistribute it as they like. I could be more specifc, giving to The United Way specifically to fight poverty, for child and youth programs, or for victims of abuse. I could give to Healthpartners, a group including the major health associations such as The Canadian Cancer Society and The Heart & Stroke Foundation. Or I could give to any registered charity in the country.

Right now I have a sponsored child in Uganda. Maybe I should give something to stay in Canada now? Or even my local community? But I think there are places elsewhere that probably need it more. How about giving to people who do something about protecting the environment? Renewable energy? World Wildlife Fund? I don't know. There are too many choices.

It won't be much money. They won't be hiring any new scientists or building any new shelters with my donations. I just want them to mean something, though. So what do you think? Who deserves our hard-earned money?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bill and melinda gates foundation..well endowed no doubt..but they're likely to spend your money a lot better than 90% of the charities out there. I would consider them seriously. Look em up

Snides said...

An interesting choice. Unfortunately, they are not registered in Canada. So no dice.

Anonymous said...

world wildlife foundation....help those who cannot help themselves and make sure your grandchildren are one day able to see polar bears etc.

Anonymous said...

AND if you donate to the WWF, you can help stop Global Warming....kill 2 birds with one stone. Or, rather, save 2 birds with one stone ;)

Anonymous said...

Do you have any of those power plans where you can pay extra to buy green energy? That would be perfect. You'd know your money would be used wisely and it would alert other people to the availability of those types of options.

Snides said...

I am pretty sure I have that at my house.

...but I don't live at my house, and I don't pay the power bill around here, so I can't really do that. I do think that it is a good idea, though.