Monday, January 08, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I have self-discipline.
I have self-control.
I don't have a scale at home, and just weighed myself for the first time in nearly three weeks.

Maybe I need to work on the self-control and self-discipline when it comes to exercise and the consumption of delicious baking over the Christmas holidays.

I'm not a big fan of New Year's resolutions, however, and I certainly am not going to make any resolution regarding my weight. In fact, I generally loathe New Year's resolutions, since their major result is a gym clogged with well-meaning and totally unmotivated people who can't find the inspiration to work out at any other time of the year. "This year I will do it, for sure!" Uh-huh. And I'm sure next year will be the year too.

My first test of whether my conditioning has suffered will be tonight's hockey game. Playing organized hockey was one of my promises to myself last year (I guess you could call it a "resolution," and I even made it on this blog somewhere), and it has certainly been tons of fun. Why do so many people have so much trouble staying active?

Speaking of being active, I got something for Christmas designed to help me avoid that. Yep, I got books. Tons of books. Unless you count aerodynamics manuals, instrument flying regulations, and the DaVinci Code as literature, I didn't do a lot of reading last year. Now, I have all sorts of things to read, namely:
Why Darwin Matters;
Beyond Band of Brothers;
Guns, Germs, and Steel;
Flags of Our Fathers; and
A Taste of Temptation,
among others. I'm sure my weight will just take care of itself. Forget the gym, it's too busy; I'm going to go read!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, the January worker-outers. I have been one of those in the past. This year, nope. I'm just going back to watching what I eat (as opposed to holidays, where I just watch myself eat tons and tons of shitty food).

Snides said...

Yeah, that's pretty funny how people "watch what they eat." Perhaps they should say, "I'm going to eat better" instead of, "I'm going to watch what I eat." But then, I guess it wouldn't be as accurate.