Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The ol' Look-back

While I don't really like making resolutions, I figure that a few weeks into the new year is a good time to look back and see what has happened in the last twelve months. You know, see if I am getting closer to any goals, developing myself, becoming a better person...or just getting older. So here, in no particular order, are some important things that happened in my life in 2006.

1) I started eating in a new way. With the Paleo Diet, I get more vitamins and minerals, more protein, less sodium and sugar, and I keep my body out of the constant metabolic acidosis that afflicts the entire grain-fed world. When I follow it strictly, I sleep better and need less sleep. I don't get sick. I don't feel tired after meals or in the mid-afternoon. There are so many benefits, and it makes so much sense to me now, that I look back at what I ate before (and what the government says to eat), and can barely believe it. Some people think that diets have to allow them to eat whatever foods they want. Well, I disagree. Some people like smoking weed all day, but that doesn't make it good for them. Pizza and beer on Fridays; that is generally the only reminder of my old way of eating that I allow.

2) I didn't get dumped. Hurray!

3) I (finally) started my next career course, my basic flying course in Moose Jaw. That entailed, of course, a move to Saskatchewan. Moose Jaw is not so bad, I am loving the flying, and I am doing well enough so far. Flight test number 2 (out of 5) is scheduled for tomorrow, we'll see if I love it in 24 hours. And - the best part of being in Moose Jaw - I no longer live in Winnipeg.

4) I stopped believing in god. It has been over 10 years at least since I last thought that there was some son of god who walked around on earth a couple thousand years ago, but I still wanted to believe that there was some sort of being that created the universe and set it in motion; or even that there was something that could intervene. I don't think so anymore. This conclusion was certainly not arrived at out of apathy - more like constantly thinking about it for years. So this is where I am at now.

5) I decided to attempt to earn the Canadian Forces Aerobic Excellence Award. I stopped after 644km in August, about three weeks after getting to Moose Jaw and being totally overwhelmed by the workload at the beginning of course. I needed 2000 in 2 years. Project status - abandoned. However, I started playing hockey again and it is radical. I am trying out for the base team this month.

6) I had one of the best summers ever. Seriously, it was awesome.

7) I passed my french language test, with a grade that means I will never have to take the test again in my career. Then I met some guys from Québec and realized I could barely speak french at all. Project status- continuing for the remainder of my life.

8) The first victim (Kyle) got married. The next (Joel) signed his warrant. And now it has just turned into an avalanche of seemingly unstoppable power.

Seems like a good year overall. Hopefully 2007 will be as good.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good review. I should do that too.

Snides said...

You sure should. Anything to get that Fanboni off the pole position.

Unknown said...

HEY! THAT'S A HOT ARTICLE!!

Anonymous said...

does your mother know about #4?