Thursday, October 13, 2005

Thanks

In honour of our most recent holiday weekend, I would like to give out some thanks. This year, I have more things to be thankful for than I can name or even know. However, I would especially like to thank all of my friends this year.

This was the first Thanksgiving that I can remember being away from my family. In their place I had six co-workers and friends I have made here since January. We went on a “family” shopping trip on Saturday and gathered all of the things we would need for a good meal the next day. On Sunday, after I woke up off the couch in the house where all of them live (and I basically live on the weekends), we had a quick breakfast and prepared the huge dinner. Everyone put in some sort of assistance, except for one guy. We didn’t really expect him to anyway; instead he worked on his forté – entertainment. He set up an obstacle course. Anyway, the rest of us drank a few beers or glasses of wine while we actually managed to prepare an incredible meal. Before we began eating three other visitors joined us, and we all went around the room and each person told every one for what they were thankful.

After dinner we moved on to the obstacle course. I managed to pull lucky number 1, so I was first up. The timed course involved drinking a beer, spinning ten times around a pole with your forehead touching the pole, and then carrying an egg in a spoon for the remaining obstacles. These included throwing a BBQ brush to knock down a can, doing slalom through tiki torches, and crawling under a series of chairs among other things. If ever the egg fell, you had to go back to the beginning of the obstacle. If it broke, you were out. Good times were had by all, and I came nowhere near to winning due to my decision to not shotgun the beer.

So that was my thanks for my new friends. But I also include my old friends in my thanks here, because there is not much that can beat hanging out with an old friend. Since moving away from you all I have seen that sometimes the more important things are the most easily taken for granted. I have also realized that friends are not something you have to lose just because you don’t see them often or talk everyday – in fact it is the real friends who know that this isn’t necessary. So know that you are always welcome to see me here, and please save me a seat when I come by to visit. I’ll bring the drinks.

(Pictures to follow)

3 comments:

Joel said...

That sounded like a sweet obstacle course. I don't know why we don't have obstacle courses ... probably because we'd end up throwing the eggs at the person doing the course. Oh well.

Oh, and if you're bringing the drinks, you can have Tim's seat. He's far too cheap to bring the drinks. Bastid.

Unknown said...

Ya, good call Joel. It'd totally turn into an eggfight. Those are the WORST.

Good post Matt. Sounds like a good Thanksgiving! Mine consisted of hanging out with the fam and hiding the tattoo from them. Yeah that's right. I'm 24.

Snides said...

Obviously, with my superior skill I didn't drop my egg. 3 people dropped their egg. And almost everyone else beat my time.

Isn't Tim rich yet?