Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Who can sing? And who knew the words?

For anyone who didn’t know, I am taking a French language course fulltime. A few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good idea to learn the national anthem in French, so I asked one of the instructors if he had something on it. He gave me a written copy; here are the lyrics for those of you who don’t know them:

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Car ton bra sait porter l’épée,
Il sait porter la croix.

Ton histoire est une épopée
Des plus brilliants exploits.

Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits!


Ok cool. Now, I am sure you all know that these words go to the same music as the English version, as oftentimes both languages are used in the anthem. But are the words the same? Is there even one single line that is the same? Not even close. The only part that is the same is the first two words. So here is an English translation of the French words:

O Canada! Land of our ancestors,
Your forehead is surrounded by glorious flowerets!

Because your arm knows how to carry the sword,
It knows how to carry the cross.

Your history is an epic
Of more brilliant exploits.

And your valour, soaked in faith,
Will protect our homes and our rights.

Will protect our homes and our rights.


Whoa. No standing on guard there. No love or glowing hearts, either. But keeping in mind that it actually rhymes in French, of course, it sounds pretty good. And they haven’t worried about changing it for such reasons as its “sexist” content like the English version. In fact the French version is still in original form from 1880. And hey…if it has worked for 125 years, it can work for me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Judging on the translated version, I think the French anthem is way better. More interesting, more vivid imagery.

Which is suprising, cuz I hate French people. Which means I hate part of you, Matt. THE PART THAT TALKS

Snides said...

Je ne parle pas en français. Si je pourrais parler en français, je n'aurais pas être ici.

p.s. I don't even know if that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Either do I, but I'll tell you what does...Getting Quebec to shut up about their dual international presence thing. If they wanted to represent their province internationally, they should have shot a little straighter on the Plains of Abraham. mg

Snides said...

Yep, that IS true, the French DID lose the battle for North America. I wonder if anyone told them?

I still like their language.