Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Togas and Barbed Wire

Last Friday. Times are good. We went out for lunch for the occasion of a departure of one of my friends. Later, had some free dinner with friends, and we shared in a beer or five together. The plan for the night - Toga Party. Sweet.

After heading back to one of the guys' room, we partook in some more beer-drinking and tried to figure out how exactly to put together a Toga without any sort of training or fastening device. After accomplishing that (well enough), we had to put together some footwear. Apparently running shoes don't go with a toga, so I borrowed someone's Japanese-style bamboo flip-flops. Dressed in bedsheet and sandals, I was obviously ready to go out in the Winnipeg winter. What, we're not walking? Ok, I guess we can call a cab.

Into the cab, and off to the party. The driver had been waiting a while for us with one guy sitting in the back, so he had started the meter. It was already at $8 by the time everyone was ready to go. Some guys refused to get in if he didn't reset the meter. Which he didn't. So they went back inside. They didn't arrive at the party until about 2 hours later.

And what are you looking for at a good toga party? Why, girls in togas, of course. And what was at this party? Craploads of dudes in togas. As usual. What could one really expect?


Eventually some girls came. They wanted to talk to me, of course. And what did they have to say? They lived in my building, and they wanted to know why I never said hello to them. Sweet, I'm so smooth.


Time to go home. I call a taxi, and a few minutes later he pulls up outside. I run to the door and wave, and call back inside to the others. They don't hear me amid the dull roar in the house, so I go and grab them. I go back to the door and...the taxi is driving away. What the? Better go after it....

So I started walking after it. The other people going back to my building come too, seeing as I'm that natural leader and all. I bet they regretted that pretty quickly. It was soon apparent that the cab was long gone, so we thought we should continue walking. Unfortunately, there is a big fence with barbed wire all around it they we had to get past, so we headed for the gate. That would make a 30 or 40 min walk. In togas. And flip-flops. In Winnipeg. In the winter.

Upon approaching the gate, we were greeted by a very bad sight indeed - the gate was locked up. Fortunately, next to the brightly-lit gate there was a bit of a stone wall, the only break in the barbed wire. So I just hopped up and walked along the wall past the wire. Looking down, I saw a bit of snow, so I jumped down. CRAP. I sank in the snow up past my knees. CRAP. Trying to get out, I lost my footwear. CRAP. Soooooooo cold. I was able to help the others over without touching the snow. Now for the long part of the walk. Man, I was cold.


The others were saying, "How does nobody know we're here? Where are the cars? Why is it so cold?"

I said to them, "It is a good thing there are no cars. We don't want anyone around here."

So I got home, was able to feel my toes after about a half hour. The next day, I talked to one of the guys who was at the party. He had to get back here too. He, too, got to the locked gate. He walked up the wall. And the police were there.

Chalk up a third Superfriend of JC Brown that has been taken in by the police. Nice work.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha. Awesome. You get some pretty rad stories from your whole Army deal there, buddy.

Darth! said...

Nice story Mr Frozen Toes.

Snides said...

Yeah, we do smart stuff.

Oops, not smart, stupid.