Monday, August 14, 2006

The battle over cake

There is a huge internal battle that has been going on everyday since I arrived at my new home. This battle only occurs in one building, and only at certain times. Three times per day, in fact. At the mess hall.

I pay a flat rate for food each month now. Whether or not that rate is too much...well, that is a different question. But the fact is that I do, and this entitles me to certain things at each meal of the day. I am entitled to a starch at each meal, be it hashbrowns, rice, boiled potatoes, or something of the sort. I am entitled to one main protien dish. Two vegetables at lunch and dinner, and a piece of fruit. If I have any entrée, I am not entitled to a large salad - only a small. But the thing is, I am entitled to a dessert at EVERY MEAL. Geez, just yesterday I saw a guy eating a nanaimo bar at breakfast. And these desserts are GOOD. I think they must order them in, because the food prepared in the kitchen there doesn't really compare. They have cheesecake. Pecan pie. Chocolate mousse cake. Apple crumble. Rolo cake. Cherry pie. White cake. Nanaimo bars. Ice cream. Carrot cake. Pudding. Brownies. Coconut bars. We're not talking just one thing at a meal, we're talking about a selection of five or more.

So here is where the conflict comes in: There are two parts of me, deeply ingrained in my personality, that I feel each time I see one of these desserts. First of all is the desire to be healthy. You don't have to go on my caveman diet to know that dessert is not healthy. Sugar. Saturated fat. Trans fat. It is hard to find any redeeming nutrition quality in these foods. Yeah, sure, apple pie has apples in it. That doesn't make it healthy. I have even been working extra hard lately to eat very well, and now this influence comes along.

The second part of me, in conflict with the desire to be healthy, is my need to be economical. Some people might even call me "cheap," though I would beg to differ. But really, I just feel the need to get the maximum value out of every dollar I spend. So if I can get a $4 piece of cake for nothing, don't you think I should take advantage of that? Because really, I would be cheating myself if I didn't! Think of when I am out of here and have to pay for that myself! That is just ridiculous, when I could stock up now at no extra charge. When I take that piece of fruit, that is only worth $0.65. A full size nanaimo bar is worth $3.50. And costs me nothing! And they say eating healthy is expensive.

Yes, I realize that it just might be lame to eat chocolate cake for economical reasons.

Of course, the economical part of me has a very strong ally. He is called deliciousness. Because we allllll know how delicious dessert is.

So far, I have resisted. Out of 28 meals, I have had only one dessert - an enourmous piece of moist yet rich chocolate cake. With chocolate icing. And chocolate shavings on top. Capped off with chocolate drizzle. Hey, if you're going to go, don't go half-way. But my inner beliefs continue to batter each other at every meal.

Come onnnnnnn, Healthymatt.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Not eating cake when said cake is already paid for (and tasty) is a travesty. A TRAVESTY. It's science.

Joel said...

Matt, Jeff's right (for once) on this one. Since you've already paid for the cake, you basically own it. So right now, you have your cake, but aren't eating it too. And if there's one thing this world has taught me, it's that when you can have your cake and eat it too, you do.

Snides said...

Well, if my readers feel that I need to eat more cake, I guess I will have to eat more cake. I had pecan pie yesterday.

Anonymous said...

go for the rolo cake!!!!

Anonymous said...

Matt, if there's one thing that's going to impress your grandkids about your time in the military, it's how good the desserts are. I know..You don't want to not eat those desserts and let your grandkids down do you?

Also, your healthy lifestyle made me look bad in the camping photos. Which is another good reason to eat plenty of cakes. Besides, a cake a day keeps the doctor away.