Monday, August 07, 2006

Cross your t's

I correct people's grammar. I correct spelling. I correct punctuation. I most definitely tell then when a word they are using doesn't make any sense in the way they are using it. I do it because I wouldn't want the message to be confused or misinterpreted.

This pisses people off. It REALLY pisses off some people. "You know what I mean," say some. "F*** you, you a**hole, leave me alone," say others.

I feel better about it today, however. According to this story, Rogers is going to lose over 2 million dollars due to the misuse of a comma. Yes, a comma, that most basic of punctuation marks, was placed where, apparently...something else should have been placed. They made a deal to lock in the price for using utility poles in the Maritimes to string their cable lines. Now Aliant, with whom they made the deal, has cancelled it and the rates are going up. If you read the sentence in question in the contract, it seems very obvious to me that this deal could be cancelled:
"The agreement 'shall continue in force for a period of five years from the date it is made, and thereafter for successive five year terms, unless and until terminated by one year prior notice in writing by either party.'”
When there are two commas in a sentence, the third clause refers to the first. They intended the contract to be in force for five years, with the option of a cancellation thereafter with one year's notice. Too bad, Rogers. Send those lawyers back to school.

5 comments:

Darth! said...

I am guilty of comma-overuse. But my English degree was worth shit 6 years ago, so why who would expect it age well?

Anonymous said...

so I get it from YOU!! Now I can tell my friends its YOUR fault!

Snides said...

That is awesome that you both made mistakes in your comments. Good show, readers.

Anonymous said...

IT'S.............is that better?? Jerk.

Unknown said...

Hahaha. Stupid commenter's.