Monday, July 25, 2005

A lone man on a journey

Sunday:

7:03am - Wake up. This is the earliest I have awakened in 3 weeks. Decide I should record what I do today so I can figure out how much fun can truly be packed into a 13+ hour drive. I'm going to Winnipeg...weeeeeeee. I will record my diary in voice memo.

8:30 - On the road. Had an mp3 CD made for me with 140 songs. Should be interesting to see what's on it.
Now Playing: Dashboard Confessional

8:32 - At the Post Office to get my leave pass stamped. It's closed. Should have done that in the past 3 weeks.

8:46 - On the road. It appears the new addition to my truck has caused my fuel efficiency to suck.
Now Playing: AC/DC

9:44 - Getting...very...tired. Fuel efficiency still sucks.
Now Playing: Britney Spears

10:07 - Can't find my wine gums. Seriously, this thing is only like 50 cubic feet.
Now Playing: Captain Tractor

10:56 - I'm in Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan roads suck.
Now Playing: Dropkick Murphys

11:45 - This is an interesting CD.
Now Playing: Scotty Doesn't Know...from the Eurotrip Soundtrack

12:20 - North Battleford. Stop for gas and food. Fuel economy not so bad (7.72L/100km). Found my wine gums and got some stale Pringles. A good stop overall.
Now Playing: Greenday

1:21pm - I was bored, so for the last 40km, I read a book. Decided that probably wasn't very safe.
Now Playing: Kenny Rogers

1:49pm - Just stopped in Saskatoon for a sandwich. You know, wouldn't want to take it on the road, because that would be unsafe.
Now Playing: Meatloaf


2:40pm - About half done my trip at this point, and my mp3 CD appears to be crapping out.
Now Playing: Tragically Hip

3:25pm - A stop sign on the highway? Can't they afford a few dollars of asphalt to make a curve and put up a merge sign?
Now Playing: Dropkick Murphys

3:55pm - You know what's good? 4-lane highways.
Now Playing: My Chemical Romance

4:14pm - I'm finally in driving mode. Not tired. Not interested in the scenery or traffic except to avoid it. Just driving.
Now Playing: Gwen Stefani

5:18pm - Leaving Yorkton. Just had dinner. Noticed at the Mr. Sub that the lettuce they served was expired - it said on the package. But the bathroom air freshener smelled like Pez Candy, so it balances out, right?
Now Playing: My Chemical Romance

6:06pm - Still have 4 hours to go. My ass is sore, and my sunglasses don't fit very well.
Now Playing: Neil Diamond

6:24pm - Filling up in Russell, MB. Still somehow getting crazy fuel economy...crazy awesome, that is. (7.56L/100km)
Now Playing - Tragically Hip

7:41pm - 200km to Winnipeg. Right on schedule. Brain turned off.
Now Playing - Johnny Cash

8:24pm - My mom just called my cell phone. She thought I would be there by now. Apparently she drives faster than me. Now Playing: Rise Against

9:15pm - I am hitting so many bugs, it sounds like rain on my windshield. It is making it increasingly difficult to see.
Now playing: the radio - The Police

9:45pm - After a sandwich, a sub, a pack of wine gums, 3 bottles of water, a box of Pringles, and 1360km I have arrived safely in Winnipeg. The bugs seemed a lot worse in the city with all the lights glaring off of them. Had to run into the building to relieve myself. Now I am 2000km overdue for an oil change. Too tired to care. To bed.
Now Playing: zzzz...

3 comments:

Cracker said...

Good to hear you got there safe and sound. I have to drive to Slave Lake on Saturday at 7am. It's not nearly as bad as yours, and less than 1/4 of the way, but I'm still dreading it...

Snides said...

My drive was not so bad. I just mentally prepare myself by thinking I will be on the road all day. Somehow I forget to do this for shorter trips so getting to Red Deer seems like eternity yet getting to Winnipeg just seems like another day. That is my advice to you - just assume your day is going to be all driving. Remember, I used to be a professional driver.

Seriously.

Unknown said...

Wow, that was one eclectic cd. Good work. Johnny Cash, Rise Against, Britney, Gwen....

Sorry we were too unorganized to figure out the trade-off of our shit.