Saturday, November 05, 2005

My sensitivity training

SPOILER ALERT
I'm talking about a movie here, so though I doubt I will ruin it for you...you've been warned.

I watched Jarhead last night. The major question that arises for me out of that is, not about war or foreign politics, but, "Why are people in the theatre laughing at parts of the movie that really aren't funny?" I had this same feeling after watching Farenheit 9/11. Clearly there are parts designed to be funny. And I agree it could be considered funny that a bunch of Marines have to build a 5m tall pyramid of sandbags in the rain, and as soon as they finish they have to take it down. Or maybe you may even think it is funny when a young recruit gets his head smashed into a chalkboard. But it a guy snapping from stress and threatening to kill his buddy really funny? Or a guy vomiting because he is surrounded by death - that makes you laugh?

Maybe it is just because these situations just seem so far-fetched, so unbelievable to us living in Canada because we only see that sort of crap on TV. Maybe I am just bitter because I am too comfortable. I am quite sure that people get immune to seeing that stuff, but I didn't think it would bring on laughter. There were a few kids, maybe 10 or 12 years old, leaving the movie theatre in front of me. One was saying to the others that this movie should have been considered a comedy because it was so damn funny. Really? A movie about a war is funny? A bunch of 18-25 year-old Americans sucking on sand and oil for six months while their enemies are fried by bombs and their wives sleep with their neighbours should be a comedy? I'm no psychologist, but are we supposed to laugh at the plight of other people, especially when clearly it is a true story?

I don't know. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

7 comments:

Darth! said...

Keep in mind that 10-12 year olds are idiots. If adults are laughing, well, that's a little different.

Was it a good movie? The book was a little choppy, a little rough around the edges. A dark insight though.

Unknown said...

Yes, 10-12 year old kids ARE idiots. Plus, Matt, you're more sensitive to the issue for obvious reasons. I'm interested in seeing the movie though; it looks good from the trailers.

Plus those kids go to movies sheerly for the entertainment value. The fact that these things actually HAPPEN go way over their heads, I think. The Hollywood world and the real world are completely different to them (as it should be in most cases, but in some - ie a movie based on a soldier's account - perhaps they shouldn't be so different).

Snides said...

It was adults I heard laughing throughout the movie; the kids were just after it was over.

The movie was pretty good, but if you have seen Full Metal Jacket you have probably seen some very similar scenes and themes. It has been done before. But it is difficult for me to stay away from a movie that tells the story of a soldier. The lead actor seems to play a fairly true character, which is important considering this film is more character-driven than story-driven. It's a good thing, too, because otherwise it would be a movie about boredom. Jamie Foxx's character is pretty stereotypical, along with a few of the other Marines. It seems unedited for content, such as the grotesque scenes, the extremes lives of the Marines (party hard, work hard) and considerable profanty, which added to its realism for me.

Overall, I would say 6.5/10. Now you know.

Best quote: "Hey, it's like a cock, only smaller!"

Anonymous said...

I'm gong ot see it here too, so you'll know if its Ontarians too. I'm betting yes. If I hear someone laughing I might just have to have some words. I'm surprised you didn't

Unknown said...

Throw down, Michelle! Throw down! Use that X Ray Technician knowledge to bust some skulls!

Snides said...

Uh-oh, he called you an X-ray TechNICIAN. Now you will have to take out your fury on Jeff instead!

Anonymous said...

techNOLOGIST....whats the difference? About $10/hr :P You're in trouble now, Archibald.